Album: Times of Maharajas
Artist: Dhoad Gypsies of Rajasthan
Label: ARC Music
Released: 28th June 2019
The era of the Maharajas was a time of bejewelled kings, opulent palaces filled with the finest art, and a rich cultural tradition of Rajasthan – the land of the kings. The DHOAD Gypsies of Rajasthan take us back to these times, re-creating the experiences of the public spectacle of palace life.
These are ancient melodies that were handed down to DHOAD’s musical director, Rahis Bharti, over several generations from his courtier-musician ancestors, who would sing in the presence of Maharajas for at public events like births and marriages and religious ceremonies, or just for entertainment. Sona ra button Banna celebrates the birth of a prince; Dhanra Saheba ji the arrival of the wedding party, and Janwariyo (Romantic Peacock) announces the coming of the rainy season, a symbol of wealth and the return of a lover.
In the spirit of their forefathers, DHOAD honours the rich, travelling Khan Saheb musical tradition – a musical caste and title given by the Maharajas to the musicians of their court – in true homage to the Rom population who left India over a thousand years ago.
Rahis Bharti was captivated at an early age by lively traditional music and dance, which became his life’s work and joy. He has been the guardian of authentic traditional music and dance of Rajasthan for many years. Driven by a celebrated legacy and creative fire, Rahis’ work keeps Rajasthan’s important heritage alive by bringing it to audiences worldwide.
Rahis and his three younger brothers, Teepu Khan, a great and virtuous tabla player and vocalist; Sanjay Khan, the outstanding lead vocalist and harmonium player; and Amrat Hussain, a phenomenal tabla player, are the heart of the DHOAD group. They are the product of more than seven generations of talented musicians, having been taught the music of Rajasthan from their father, Ustad Rafeek, and their great grandfather, Ustad Rasool Buxkhan.
Rajasthani music is respected by virtuosos worldwide for its emotion and unparalleled rhythmic speed and complexity. Times of Maharajas is a vibrant dream that tantalizes the senses and transports audiences to the country of the Maharajas, bringing them back to a time when the forefathers played before kings and queens.
The DHOAD Gypsies of Rajasthan have performed over twelve hundred concerts in over one hundred countries, delighting audiences for the last seventeen years. Thus, DHOAD are known today as “the Cultural Ambassadors of Rajasthan”.
- Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee celebration in London
- Performing for the honourable Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi
- Performing for the President of France, François Hollande
- Birthday party for the lead vocalist of The Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger.
- 2016: The Fryderyk Award (Polish Grammy equivalent) in 2016
- 2018: Rajasthan Gouvrav (Pride of Rajasthan) – Rahis Bharti
Track Listing - Times of Maharajas - Dhoad Gypsies of Rajasthan
1. Sona ra button banna (The Prince is Born) - 5:42
2. Breathing Under the Water - 2:33
3. Janwariyo (Romantic Peacock) - 4:51
4. Dhanra Saheba ji (Dream Wedding) - 6:13
5. Lullaby - 3:25
6. Nagar bêle (Never Let You Go) - 6:14
7. Royal Dance of Rajasthan Ghoomar - 6:04
8. Badila leta (Bring My Love) - 3:16
9. Tabla Solo - 4:32
10. Begha ghara ayo (Maharani Longing for Maharaja) - 5:03
Total playing time: 48:32 min.
For more information please contact Amelia Zimmatore: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.arcmusic.co.uk |
ARC Music Productions International | PO Box 111 | East Grinstead | West Sussex | RH19 4FZ | United Kingdom